When you talk of superlatives, when you speak about dazzling sun and sand, when the tallest and the largest or the first is the question, when you think of shopping festivals, then, of course, it is Dubai. With the tallest building, Burj Khalifa, which is being lighted in tricolour for the first time in history as a mark of honour to the largest democracy in the world, Dubai is surely a place to visit if you yet have not been there. And many of us who have been there go year and again to have an amazing family holiday.
Few things I suggest should be done when you are in Dubai are-
- A desert safari when you go dune bashing, the inner child in you screaming, followed by an entertaining evening of acrobatics n belly dancing n some local food in the tents is not an unusual sight. But these days lots of resorts have started the trend of luxury tents in the desert when you get to spend a day there and the packages include desert safari, quadrabikng, food and cultural extravaganza.
- Even if you have done it many a times yet a Visit to the tallest building, Burj Khalifa, gives you a thrill unmatched, each time you go. The beautiful view from top gives me a high like no other thing. And why not, who won’t want to view life when you are at the top!! The 124th floor, the selfie clicking young or old couples (love is ageless, timeless) is such a happy sight. This should be ideally followed by a musical fountain experience and dinner with your loved ones.
- If there’s any city that takes shopping malls seriously then it’s Dubai. Not only do global brands flock this retail capital, but shoppers from all over the Middle East and beyond come to this place to appreciate the grandiose of the malls here. Here’s my pick of my favs-
a) Ibn Batuta Mall– is inspired by the Moroccan explorer Ibn Batuta and is the largest theme mall in the world.
b) Dubai Outlet Mall – This gives almost 30% to 90% discounts on the luxury brands and otherwise.
c) Mall of Emirates– This is known as the world’s first shopping resort and it keeps entertainment also as the priority for its shoppers who can enjoy a indoor ski or snowboarding or play with penguins.
d) Dubai Mall– in the heart of downtown housing the biggest brands is a delight to any shopper. This also is home to the world’s largest aquariums and aquatic zoo, the Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo.
- Madinat Jumeriah the Arabian resort – is the largest resort in Emirates and is a five star resort in Dubai. This was my personal favourite for the reason of its design. It’s designed to resemble an Arabic town and houses over 40 restaurants and pubs and lots to shop locally. This is just adjacent to Burj Al Arab and Wild wadi water park. It encompasses three boutique hotels.
- Atlantis, the palm is UAE luxury hotel resort at the Palm Jumeriah and is known for its splendour, picturesque location. There’s no dearth of hotels when it comes to Dubai and similarly no stopping to shopping, but my principle is to make memories and capture good moments.
- A walk down the Jumeriah beach or a good opera show makes a great time spent with your loved ones and family. Time to cherish things beyond materialism. When you are at Dubai you know food and spas are umpteen in no. The next blog would be on the Sheikh Zayed Mosque at Abu Dhabi, and next on food and spas. This one is a pick of my favourite instagrammable places one shan’t miss if they are in Dubai. Shopping can wait but time won’t.
- Global village is another fantasy land with beautifully done sets of every country from Middle East, Asia and Europe, with their respective food, buzzing market of local produce, and happy faces. If one wants to have an overview of so many places at once then this should not be missed. The gandola rides in the water body gives a great feel. Dubai is surely a paradise for a traveller or a shopper, equally.
Place to visit in Dubai:
Burj Khalifa | Desert Safari | Ibn Batuta Mall | Dubai Outlet Mall | Mall of Emirates | Dubai Mall | Madinat Jumeriah | Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo | Wild wadi water park | Boutique Hotels | Atlantis | Palm Jumeriah | Jumeriah beach | Global Village